Fatherhood

I've been reading a book called Coach Wooden One on One, written by former UCLA coach John Wooden and Jay Carty. Wooden coached Lew Alcindor, better known as Kareem Abdul Jabbar, so he has some miles and experience on him. It's a book of powerful insights and a great daily devotional. I read this yesterday and it was about Fatherhood and being a good role model for your children.

A careful man I want to be,
A little fellow follows me;
I do not dare to go astray,
For fear he'll go the self-same way.

I cannot once escape his eyes,
Whate'er he sees me do, he tries;
Like me he says he's going to be,
The little fellow that follows me.

He thinks that I am good and fine,
Believes in every word of mine;
The base in me he must not see.
The little chap who follows me.

I must remember as I go,
Through summer's sun and winter's snow;
I am building for the years to be,
That little chap who follows me.

That poem really hit home when I think about Kenny. I have to be a good role model for him on all fronts. I just pray that I can help him be a better man than I am.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Twitter, Facebook and, oh yes, Exercise have helped my back pain

Encouragement in three little words