Encouragement in three little words

Go, Daddy, Go!

Three little words, they may not seem like a battle cry of encouragement, but they are to me. I'll tell you why. Father's Day is approaching quickly. A few days ago, my wonderful wife, Lana, said she's got my gift and it'll be cool and I can use it. My interest was peaked immediately. She knows how to work me and knows that patience isn't always one of my virtues and I'd ask for it. She also knows how to use this in reverse for her birthday, mother's day, Christmas, anniversary, etc and that I won't be able to hold out on her gifts. But, I digress.

So, she gave it to me yesterday. It was a sports bottle, a metal one that's supposed to be better for you, better tasting, since it's not plastic. Bright (Cowboy) blue and three little words on it, seven actually - Go, Daddy Go! Love Lana and Kenny. The bottle itself isn't what is so special about the gift. It's a great bottle, don't get me wrong. It's those three words of encouragement, Go, Daddy, Go, that have me jazzed. I'm training for the Hotter N Hell 100. It's a 100 mile bike ride, this August, in Wichita Falls, Tx. I rode in it once in the 90's and it's appropriately named. The bottle also won't be my primary source of hydration on that ride. My Camelbak H.A.W.G. will be. It holds 100 ounces of liquid, and I'll need every bit of it, twice probably.

I'm blessed to have a wife that supports me the way that she does. Cycling isn't a sport that you can do in 20 or 30 minutes a day. It takes time, and she gives that to me. She's awesome. What that bottle will do for me is keep me going when I'm 50 or 60 miles into the ride and hot. I'll look down at that bottle and see those three little words - Go, Daddy, Go! It will energize me because I know she and Kenny are pulling for me. That bottle will turn into the shifter on Eleanor, Nick Cage's Mustang GT in "Gone in 60 Seconds" Yes, the shifter with the nitrous button in the end of it. The one with the sticker around that red button saying Go, Baby, Go. It'll keep me going when I need to reach down for something extra.

I'm not writing this to brag on my wife, although I can do that easily. That bottle got me thinking about the power a few words can have over someone and the Sunday School lesson that we had on encouragement a few weeks ago. That lesson was about Barnabus and how he stepped up for Paul, just after his conversion. The disciples weren't too sure about Paul's newfound faith, but Barnabus stood up for Paul, got his brothers to relax and accept him. Barnabus encouraged Paul, and the rest is history.

Encouragement doesn't always have to be that bold. It doesn't have to be hard, in fact, it's easy. You never know when a kind word, or three, can really effect someones day, totally turn it around. It can be as simple as a smile, a nod, or a hello. It takes virtually no energy on your part, but it can totally fill someones tank who needs it. It can take place in the form of a phone call to an old friend you haven't talked to in a while, an email, a text. I think hearing someone talk to you is better, but a little contact may just be what someone needs.

Words can build up and words can tear down. I know it's impossible to always be cheery and be the encourager. But, for such a small energy investment that can pay such big dividends for someone else, doesn't it make sense to have that hat on when we can? What if, your tank is running low one day, and a perfect stranger smiles as you pass in the hall or on the street and it perks you up? Wouldn't you be glad that they did? There are so many people who start a business, project, fitness program, or whathaveyou, often give up just inches before they achieve success. If they'd just persevered a little longer, they would have achieved their goals. Sometimes a bit of encouragement is all someone needs to keep going when they're ready to quit.

It's a simple choice we can make. We can add to someones day and mood, or not.

What are your three words going to be today?

Comments

  1. My words today were "Happy Birthday Son!" Alex turned 5 today and he is beside himself with the joy he feels at being a big boy. I am beside myself that I am his father. We have great jobs don't we Michael?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's AWESOME Sandy, Happy Birthday to Alex!!! The joy of a child is something to behold. You're right, we, as fathers, have the best jobs in the world. Although we'll get some pushback from the mom's of the world on that statement...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Twitter, Facebook and, oh yes, Exercise have helped my back pain

Be a part of something great – Your Life